Monday, October 10, 2022

Erin Elizabeth Kenyon, 1957-2022

My sweet auntie passed away on June 22nd very quickly after being diagnosed with leukemia. She had been caregiving for me just a month prior. 

It still feels so unreal and I keep waiting for her to walk in my front door. She has always been my rock, in any emergency she was there. She was my buddy and we had so much fun together. One of the silver linings of my injury is getting to spend so much time with her over the past, nearly 12 years. She took such good care of me, and I know she is sending angels my way. 


When I was a child, before she had kids of her own I had made her a Mother’s Day card, the adults reminded me that she wasn’t a mother yet. That pretty much sums up our relationship. She was always more than an auntie to me, she was my second mom, my friend, my mentor…


When I moved back from attending Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara she helped me get a job at the Mitchell Group (now Sothebys Realty) photographing houses around the Monterey peninsula and when I was looking for an office/gallery space in town she was the one who found the current location of Gallery Exposed in Carmel. I look around my house and I see the curtains that she made for me, the pants she sewed up holes in, the flower arrangement she left on my table. I have a beef tenderloin in the freezer waiting for her to cook for us, she cooked it the best. 


She was beautiful, strong, funny, caring, creative, crafty and of course feisty (the aries with red hair). My heart is heavy for my cousins, Cody and Casey who lost their mom and for the grandbaby that she will never meet. Again and again I am reminded that life is short and that everything can change in a moment. Love the ones you’re with, give them a hug, tell them you love them. Until we meet again my sweet auntie, I love you so much, I will always be your sweet girl.


Auntie and Sean helping me with rehab at Zhu’s Neuro Acupuncture in 2011. 
Both now are angels in heaven.

Point Lobos, 2013

Baja Mexico, 2013

My 7th birthday party at Auntie’s house in Carmel Valley, 1989.

Pool time, 2020

Relay for Rachael, 2017


You have to love the 80s western wedding. Left to right: aunt Becky Dreher, uncle Tom Sullivan, my mom Katherine Anne McLachlan, great grandma Fern, aunt Erin, aunt Linda and grandma Dibbie. And yes, that’s my little pouty face in the front, I did not fulfill my flower girl duties...

Marin county, 2013

Auntie organizing the scavenger hunt at my 7th birthday party in Carmel Valley, 1989.

Relay for Rachael, 2022





No comments:

Post a Comment