Monday, October 31, 2022

12 year “crashiversary”

 It’s been a year. 

For 8 months I was looking to fill my caregiving schedule, and then my aunt passed suddenly from leukemia, she had been my constant caregiver for the passed 12 years, filling in when I couldn’t find the help I needed. Finding and keeping the care I need is a full-time job. Unfortunately, when I don’t have the help I need everything else gets put on hold, this is just the reality of my situation.

And here I am on the other side of this challenging year… and I am trying to enjoy the calm while I have it.


My therapies have been going really well. With the chaos of finding help during the pandemic it has been really nice to get back into a routine. The pool I had been going to for 10 years, Josephine Kernes Memorial Pool, closed down for 18 months, and now that they are back open they are no longer doing one hour sessions. They have cut them down to 30 minutes and that is just not enough time, especially for wheelchair users who need to get out of their chair to prevent pressure sores. It’s unfortunate that they don’t realize this, especially since they have a spinal cord injury grant for aqua therapy. I am thankful I found the Monterey Aqua Therapy Center where I started going in February 2021, they allow one hour sessions which is so beneficial for pressure relief, anxiety, insomnia, pain management, the benefits go on and on.


Buns up! This is during my session of Watsu at the Monterey Aqua Therapy Center. It feels so good!


I just finished showing a beautiful photography exhibit at my gallery by the photographer Edna Bullock that we had postponed since May 2020. Edna passed away 25 years ago but her daughter, Barbara Bullock-Wilson, now runs the family archive and it was an honor to show her photographs. My photographs are now back up in the gallery along with local photographer, Viktor Klinger. I also still have photographs up at Alta bakery in Monterey. And my 2023 fine our calendars are in! Shop here!


I came across this poem last week, another reminder to never give up. There will be the dark times and there will be the light times. Keep calm and carry on (thanks Terry)…


Unstoppable 


Unstoppable they called her

but I saw her stop

I saw her stop

many many times.


Sometimes

I thought she had stopped

for good


but no

she always found a way

to resurrect.


To rise again.


Not the same

never the same.


Each time a little more determined

and a little less vulnerable.


Unstoppable they said

but I think

it was in the stopping

that she found

her power.


Donna Ashworth

No comments:

Post a Comment